An ancient history...
Château Ollieux Romanis is located in the heart of the Massif du Pinada in the Corbières. It can be found on the road between the Abbeys of Fontfroide and Lagrasse. Like them, it's a place full ofHistory.
In Roman times, our territory was known for its sources of drinking water. Nowadays, those sources allow us to regulate the barrel cellar temperatures.
Over the centuries, the owners have succeeded one another and the area has been home to a great diversity of peopleand expertises. Fertilized by different farms, our soils have nourished olive trees and a large number of cereals. Originally a farm, the buildings then became a priory before turning into a distillery.
In the 18th century, the main activity became the winery.
...marked by conflict...
Wealth of resources rhymes with lust.
Between 1792 and 1830, there was a long conflict between the owner of the Ollieux (the Castillon de Saint Victor family) and the land clearers, supported by the town hall of Montséret. *. Possession of the scrubland surrounding the estate is disputed. " Expertises, confrontations and judgments follow one another for decades. " These conflicts hamper the exploitation of the domain and do not allow its owners to reveal its full potential.
Finally, the Castillon de Saint Victor won their case. However, their attempt to exploit the vineyard was a failure. Over-indebted, they were forced to sell the estate under pressure from creditors.
Today, the municipality and our vineyard are allies. We work hand in hand for the development of our region and the evolution of our territory.
Two families, two visions
In 1872 the vineyard was divided into two holdings. On one side Ollieux Romanis, managed by the Huc family. On the other hand the Château les Ollieux owned by the Lignon family.
The high quality of the soil and the suitable climate ensures to both families large harvests.
Phylloxera episode boosts sales. Thanks to its resistance, our region has been spared this aphid. Demand continues to increase but the number of productors is decreasing. Thewine growing activity becomes more and more sustainable. Ollieux are gaining in recognition.
" En 1916, the soldier's ration is increased to half a litre of wine per day and by homme : the military stewardship will buy up to seven million hectolitres. On 6 September 1918, with the supply of 520 hl, Paul Huc ensures the largest contribution of the commune of Montséret. »
Impelled by the industrial revolution, the model of trade and large volumes dominates the region's wine sector. The Great Wars only reinforced it.
" En 1955, André Surbézy, manager for his wife of the Lignon estate, owns two tractors, Paul Huc, one. Both farms still use chevaux : two at Surbézy, three at Huc. The corollary of this unfinished mechanisation is the persistence of a workforce salariée : Paul Huc still has twelve permanent employees and André Surbézy nine. »
Nowadays, these differences may seem trivial, but they reveal two biases. At Ollieux Romanis, mechanization is more cautious, the field develops with intuition the importance of preserving traditions.
The foundations of our model.
"The remains of the bottling system [at Ollieux Romanis] testify to a certain and early desire to amend the omnipotence of wine trading and to get closer to the consumer. »
In 1893, the two domains are victims of a crisis of overproduction.
" Peu worn to discouragement, Maurice Huc had a spacious and functional cellar built in 1896. " This semi-underground breeding cellar was a real innovation in the Corbières.
At Ollieux Romanis, wine quality is placed at core in its production. Any innovation must serve the ancestral know-how, without degrading it.
We did not get carried away by the wave of mechanization et search from We're constantly looking for this complex balance between tradition and modernity to develop responsible and sustainable operations.
Unification and Sharing : our heritage
The Bories family took over the farm in 1978. In spite of the difficult times, they managed to give it a second wind.
The Lignon family won't be able to recover from the post-war crisis. In 2006, they sold their farm. The two areas are dunified after 134 years. This is how our Château des Ollieux Romanis was born.
We are the heirs ofan ancestral know-how.
Today, we work to pay tribute to our History and share it with you. Our wines reflect who we are.
We are constantly and relentlessly building this balance between tradition and modernity.
*All quotations in this text are from the document "The Ollieux : an ancestral wine estate" written by Jean-Louis Escudier, CNRS Research Officer.
"We fight every day to be closer to Nature and Mankind, to pass on our passion and love. Tension and intensity push us around, but oncethat's passedweplunge into a deep calm. »